We offer two different types of shares: vegetables and eggs.
Vegetable shares begin in late May and run for 23 shares over 24 weeks (no shares the week of July 4th), through mid-November.
Egg shares are available in 26-week/6 month shares: summer (June through November) and winter (December through May).
We also offer add-on shares, procured from other local producers. Fruit shares run 15 weeks during the vegetables season. Mushroom, bread, and coffee shares run for 26-week/6 month summer and winter seasons, like our egg shares. When you invest in any of the shares we produce at the Farms, you can enjoy even more local food by also purchasing add-on shares!
What is Community-Supported Agriculture?
Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a unique partnership between farmers and people who want to purchase fresh, healthy, chemical-free food, support local farmers, and support the local economy.
• Investment: When you purchase our CSA shares ahead of the growing season, you literally provide “seed money” that we can use for seeds, equipment, repairs, etc. – the necessary things we need in order to raise crops and animals.
• Rewards: Your CSA membership is an investment in the Farms, and you share the risks and rewards of farming with us. In return, we share the season’s harvest with you!
• Impact: By supporting Raccoon Forks Farms, you participate in good land stewardship, erosion-prevention, and humane treatment of farm animals.
How it works
Select the CSA share types and sizes you wish, then decide if you’d like to pick them up or to get home delivery.
For pick-up, we drop off CSA shares at four locations in Des Moines, West Des Moines, Adel, and Ames. You select your pick-up site and then pick up your shares during designated windows of time the day they’re delivered. Vegetables will be in produce boxes and eggs will be delivered in coolers. Each of your shares will have your name on it!
If you live within our standard delivery zone, home delivery, for an additional $6.00 per week, is also an option.
What size share should you get?
Our vegetable shares run for 23 shares over 24 weeks and are available as full and half shares. Half shares are roughly half the quantity of full shares. Traditionally, a half share is recommended for 1-2 people and a full share is recommended for 3-4 people. We think those are good general guidelines, but it also depends on how much produce you like!
Eggs shares run for 26 weeks and are available as full shares (one dozen eggs per week) and half shares (half-dozen eggs per week).
Bread add-on shares run for 26 weeks and are available as full shares (two loaves of bread per week), half shares (one loaf of bread per week), and quarter shares (one small loaf of bread per week).
Mushroom add-on shares run for 26 weeks and are available as full shares (quart of mushrooms per week) and half shares (pint of mushrooms per week).
Fruit add-on shares are available as full shares only and run for 15 weeks during the vegetables season. Start and end dates for fruit shares depend on growing conditions.
Coffee add-on shares will run for 26 weeks, and will come as full shares only – one pound of dark roast or light roast, whole bean or ground, coffee beans per week.
Why choose Raccoon Forks Farms?
When you invest in healthy, chemical-free, local food from Raccoon Forks Farms, you support two important missions:
- We provide employment opportunities to people who have disabilities and other barriers to employment. These employees fill valued roles in our operations and receive one-on-one job coaching and the support they need to build skills and be successful on the job.
- We take pride in farming sustainably! We don’t use any chemicals or hormones at the Farms. Instead, we use crop rotation, cover crops, as little tilling as possible, and compost to grow great produce and improve the health and fertility of our soil. Our chickens are cage-free and pastured – we believe sunshine, grass beneath their feet, and the ability to forage keep them happy and healthy. In return, they give us rich, delicious brown eggs!
Winter 2023-24 and Summer 2024 CSA Shares
|Share Type||Size||Price||Duration||Delivery||Start Date||End Date|
|Winter 2023-2024 eggs||Full share||$117.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 6 or 7||May 29 or 30|
|Half share||$78.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 6 or 7||May 29 or 30|
|Winter 2023-2024 bread add-on||Full share||$360.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 6 or 7||May 29 or 30|
|Half share||$200.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 6 or 7||May 29 or 30|
|Quarter share||$110.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 6 or 7||May 29 or 30|
|Winter 2023-2024 mushrooms add-on||Full share||$320.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 6 or 7||May 29 or 30|
|Half share||$175.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 6 or 7||May 29 or 30|
|Frozen broiler chickens||N/A||$60.00||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Summer 2024 vegetables||Full share||$700.00||23 weeks||Weekly*||June 5 or 6||Nov. 13 or 14|
|*No vegetables week of July 4th||Half share||$445.00||23 weeks||Weekly*||June 5 or 6||Nov. 13 or 14|
|Summer 2024 eggs||Full share||$117.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 5 or 6||Nov. 26 or 27|
|Half share||$78.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 5 or 6||Nov. 26 or 27|
|Summer 2024 fruit add-on||Full share||$185.00||15 weeks||Weekly||TBD||TBD|
|Summer 2024 bread add-on||Full share||$360.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 5 or 6||Nov. 26 or 27|
|Half share||$200.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 5 or 6||Nov. 26 or 27|
|Quarter share||$110.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 5 or 6||Nov. 26 or 27|
|Summer 2024 mushrooms add-on||Full share||$320.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 5 or 6||Nov. 26 or 27|
|Half share||$175.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 5 or 6||Nov. 26 or 27|
|Summer 2024 coffee add-on||Full share||$306.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 5 or 6||Nov. 26 or 27|
Ways to order:
• Mail or email us the order form in our CSA brochure
• Email us at [email protected]
• Call us at (515) 729-8664
We thank you in advance for paying in advance! Your investment is a huge help to us in planning and preparing for the farming season to come. You're welcome to pay by credit card (we’ll email you a PayPal invoice) or by mailing us a check. We ask that you pay in full, at the time you sign up, for orders totaling $300.00 or less. If your order is for more than $300.00, you can a) pay in full at the time you order; or b) pay in two to four monthly installments, by credit card, between November and February. Just let us know how you would prefer to pay for your shares.
Please contact us at (515) 729-8664 or [email protected].