We offer three different types of shares: vegetables, eggs and frozen broiler chickens.
Vegetables are available as summer shares (June through mid-October) and fall shares (mid-October through November). Summer fruit add-on shares, procured from other local farms, are delivered for 15 weeks during the summer vegetables season.
Egg shares are available in 26 week/6 month shares: summer (June through November) and winter (December through May). We also offer bread add-on shares, baked by Brick Street Bakery, our sister Optimae LifeServices microbusiness, on the same schedule
Chicken shares are available any time!
What is Community-Supported Agriculture?
Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a unique partnership between farmers and people who want to purchase fresh, healthy, chemical-free food, support local farmers, and support the local economy.
• Investment: When you purchase our CSA shares ahead of the growing season, you literally provide “seed money” that we can use for seeds, equipment, repairs, etc. – the necessary things we need in order to raise crops and animals.
• Rewards: Your CSA membership is an investment in the Farms, and you share the risks and rewards of farming with us. In return, we share the season’s harvest with you!
• Impact: By supporting Raccoon Forks Farms, you participate in good land stewardship, erosion-prevention, and humane treatment of farm animals.
How it works
Select the CSA share types and sizes you wish, and decide where you’d like to pick them up (we deliver to five locations in Des Moines, West Des Moines, Urbandale, and Ames). We’ll deliver your shares to that location and you can pick them up in designated windows of time the day they’re delivered. Vegetables will be in produce boxes. Eggs and frozen chickens will be delivered in coolers. Each of your shares will have your name on it!
What size share should you get?
Our vegetables shares run for 20 weeks in the summer and 6 weeks in the fall. Both summer and fall vegetables shares are available as full and half shares. Which size should you get?
Traditionally, a half share is recommended for 1-2 people and a full share is recommended for 3-4 people. We think those are good general guidelines, but it also depends on how much produce you like!
Eggs shares run for 26 weeks and are available as full shares (one dozen eggs per week) and half shares (half-dozen eggs per week).
Frozen broiler chickens – the number of chickens per share varies depending on their sizes, but each share will total 15+ pounds of chicken. You can order chickens any time and receive them in individual or batch deliveries, upon request. Just let us know by Monday of the week you’d like to receive one or more of your birds, and we’ll bring them to your pick-up site that week.
Why choose Raccoon Forks Farms?
When you invest in healthy, chemical-free, local food from Raccoon Forks Farms, you support two important missions:
- We provide employment opportunities to people with cognitive disabilities and mental illness. These employees fill valued roles in our operations and receive one-on-one job coaching and the support they need to build skills and be successful on the job.
- We take pride in farming sustainably! We don’t use chemicals or hormones. Instead, we use crop rotation, cover crops, as little tilling as possible, and our own compost to grow our produce and improve the health and fertility of our soil. Our animals are cage-free and pastured – we believe sunshine, grass beneath their feet, and the ability to forage keep our animals happy and healthy. In return, they give us rich, delicious brown eggs and wonderful meat!
|Share Type||Size||Price||Duration||Delivery||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer 2020 eggs*||󠅉||Full share||$95.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 3 or 4||Nov. 25 or 26|
|󠅉||Half share||$58.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 3 or 4||Nov. 25 or 26|
|Summer 2020 bread add-on to eggs*||󠅉||Full share||$240.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 3 or 4||Nov. 25 or 26|
|󠅉||Half share||$150.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 3 or 4||Nov. 25 or 26|
|Frozen broiler chickens||󠅉||N/A||$50.00||N/A||Upon request||N/A||N/A|
|Winter 2020-21 eggs||󠅉||Full share||$95.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 2 or 3||May 26 or 27|
|󠅉||Half share||$58.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 2 or 3||May 26 or 27|
|Winter 2020-21 bread add-on to eggs||󠅉||Full share||$240.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 2 or 3||May 26 or 27|
|󠅉||Half share||$150.00||26 weeks||Weekly||Dec. 2 or 3||May 26 or 27|
|Summer 2021 vegetables||󠅉||Full share||$550.00||20 weeks||Weekly||June 2 or 3||Oct. 13 or 14|
|󠅉||Half share||$345.00||20 weeks||Weekly||June 2 or 3||Oct. 13 or 14|
|Summer 2021 fruit add-on to vegetables share||󠅉||Full share||TBD||15 weeks||Weekly||TBD||TBD|
|Summer 2021 bread add-on to eggs and/or vegetables||󠅉||Full share||$240.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 2 or 3||Nov. 24 or 25|
|󠅉||Half share||$150.00||26 weeks||Weekly||June 2 or 3||Nov. 24 or 25|
|Fall 2021 vegetables||󠅉||Full share||$225.00||6 weeks||Weekly||Oct. 20 or 21||Nov. 24 or 25|
|󠅉||Half share||$175.00||6 weeks||Weekly||Oct. 20 or 21||Nov. 24 or 25|
|*While summer 2020 shares have already started, they can be ordered on a prorated basis any time before November 18, 2020.|
Ways to order:
• Download our order form
• Call us at (515) 729-8664; or
• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank you in advance for paying in advance! Your investment is a huge help to us in planning and preparing for the farming season to come. You are welcome to pay by credit card (we’ll email you a PayPal invoice) or by mailing us a check. Order by the end of November 2020 and take advantage of paying in two, three or four monthly installments.
Please contact us at (515) 729-8664 or email@example.com.